All-Bird Conservation Plan
In recent decades, numerous bird conservation plans have been written that are applicable to Ohio. At the national scale plans have been created by bird conservation groups for waterbirds, waterfowl, shorebirds and landbirds. At the regional scale there are plans compiled by Bird Conservation Regions and Joint Ventures, which are collaborative regional and local partnerships made up of landowners, government officials, and NGO’s dedicated to implementing national plans. In 2010, OBCI released a comprehensive bird conservation plan, which sought to not only step-down broader scale efforts to the state level, but provide more detailed information at a finer resolution for future regional efforts. The plan is a collaborative effort among members representing numerous organizations that serve on the Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative’s Conservation Planning and Research Committee. This plan also contains a significant amount of conservation planning produced by the Upper Mississippi & Great Lakes Joint Venture, and national bird conservation groups. In 2019, OBCI initiated work on an updated version of the guide.
If you have questions about the plan or would like assistance in using the plan to make conservation decisions for your organization, please contact us.
The main goals for the Ohio All-bird Conservation Plan (v1):
- Prioritize a species list that identifies Ohio species that are at risk in the state, region, and across the continent
- Summarize regional bird conservation plans and step down population and habitat goals to Ohio
- Summarize the Upper Mississippi & Great Lakes Joint Venture Conservation Strategy Plan (This plan is broken down into separate plans for waterbirds, waterfowl, landbirds and shorebirds)
- Identify critical research and monitoring projects needed to sustain Ohio’s bird populations and habitats (to be included in final draft of plan)
- Identify potential funding sources for collaborative conservation projects among OBCI partners (to be included in final draft of plan)
Compiled by Suzanne Cardinal and Paul Rodewald. Contributing members of OBCI’s Conservation Planning and Research Committee members:
- Tom Berger, ODNR, Division Forestry
- R. Jeffrey Brown, Ohio Bird Banding Association
- Bernie Daniel, Ohio Bluebird Society
- Bob Gates, The Ohio State University
- Jim Inglis, Pheasants Forever
- Andy Jones, Cleveland Museum of Natural History
- Mike Kravitz, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Mike Reynolds, ODNR-Division of Wildlife
- John Ritzenthaler, Audubon Ohio
- Amanda Rodewald, The Ohio State University
Alternately, you can access the plan in it’s entirety, HERE.